INDIA: ITC to expand from cigarettes to beverage sector
Indian cigarette maker ITC is to enter the beverage market with a range of fruit juices and dairy drinks.
The conglomerate, which also operates in agri business, snack foods and hospitality, said in its annual shareholders meeting today that the move will further boost its portfolio amid a “challenging economic environment”. The “foray into the dairy and beverages segments will further enrich” the company, ITC chairman Shri Deveshwar said in a speech to investors.
According to Indian media, Deveshwar responded to questions after the speech by saying: “We want to grow in new areas... in areas of fruit juices, tea, coffee, chocolates and dairy products.”
The diversification comes after the Indian government last month increased excise duty on cigarettes - which account for half of ITC's sales - by as much as 72%.
This week, Tata Global Beverages, the India-based tea, coffee and water brand owner, reported a fall in first-quarter profits despite a rise in sales.
Food and Grocery Retailing in India: Databook to 2017
Canadean’s, Food and Grocery Retailing in India: Databook to 2017 contains detailed historic and forecast retail sales values, segmented at a category level. The report takes into account macroeconomi...read more
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts