ITALY: Italy in court over sports drinks regualtions
Italy has run into problems over its laws governing the sports drinks market and is now facing court action by the European Commission.
The food website nutraingredients.com today reported that the EC had taken Italy to the European Court of Justice because the country's laws were a barrier to free trade as set out in the EU.
The EU has no laws governing the sports drink market but Italy insists that any product intended for intense muscular effort must obtain prior authorisation.
As this rule applies to domestic and imported products the Italian legislation contravenes free trade. Under EU rules goods manufactured or marketed in one member state must be allowed to move freely into other states in the Union.
The Commission went to the Court of Justice after Italy failed to respond to an earlier complaint made in July 2001.
The Commission is arguing that Italy's legislation is not needed to protect public health or consumer interests and that Italy had failed to give good reason to justify the extra cost to producers who were operating elsewhere in the EU.
The Hispanic community is a large and growing ethnic group within the US population and a consumer segment that soft drinks marketers are looking to tap. Hinde Liep of US market research company, Busi...
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
Alabama's State Board of Education has banned carbonated drinks from vending machines in public elementary schools and limited them in middle and high schools....
With the introduction of Powerade Option, announced this week, Coca-Cola hopes to challenge PepsiCo's hold on the sports drink market....
Coca-Cola has launched a low-calorie sports drinks called POWERade OPTION, which it hopes will challenge the dominance of rival Gatorade in the sector. The new brand will hit shelves across the US thi...
Coca Cola is planning to invest €20m in a new production line at its plant at Socx near Dunkirk in northern France....
Sports drinks company ChampionLyte Holdings has announced that it has signed a definitive agreement for the acquisition of Cargo Connection Logistics Corp. and Mid-Coast Management, Inc., two privatel...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Coca-Cola Enterprises Q1 2016 results - Preview
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India