ITALY/EU: Italian importer loses fraud appeal
An Italian fruit juice concentrate importer has lost its legal appeal against a EUR2.6m (US$3.4m) fine for allegedly not paying import duties.
Judges at the European Court of Justice's Court of First Instance refused to find fault with the decision from the European Commission.
The case centres on the Verona-based importer CAS, which is co-owned by German group Steinhauser. Italian customs officials accused CAS of presenting fake Turkish origin documents for fruit juice concentrate - under an EU-Turkey trade deal, such products enter the EU duty-free.
However, CAS claimed at the court that it was not to blame. The company said Italian and Turkish customs authorities "had committed factual errors" in processing the juice concentrate imports, that it "could not have detected".
The duty free business has recovered relatively quickly from the major disruption caused by the security scare in the UK in the summer, writes Joe Bates. And as the industry prepares for the annual Ta...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has added two new super-premium Scotch whiskies to its Laphroaig Islay single malt range in the UK....
The European Travel Retail Council (ERTC) has welcomed European Union (EU) legislation, finalised by the European Commission, that will allow air passengers to travel freely with duty-free alcohol fro...
Harvey Miller Wine & Spirits Agencies has launched a new liqueur....
Rémy Cointreau has posted a slight lift in full-year turnover....
Bacardi has appointed experienced duty-free executive Michael Coleman as its European travel retail director....
Camus Cognac has secured US distribution for its Elegance range....
V&S Group has launched the first travel retail exclusive for Absolut vodka....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report