ITALY/EU: Italian importer loses fraud appeal
An Italian fruit juice concentrate importer has lost its legal appeal against a EUR2.6m (US$3.4m) fine for allegedly not paying import duties.
Judges at the European Court of Justice's Court of First Instance refused to find fault with the decision from the European Commission.
The case centres on the Verona-based importer CAS, which is co-owned by German group Steinhauser. Italian customs officials accused CAS of presenting fake Turkish origin documents for fruit juice concentrate - under an EU-Turkey trade deal, such products enter the EU duty-free.
However, CAS claimed at the court that it was not to blame. The company said Italian and Turkish customs authorities "had committed factual errors" in processing the juice concentrate imports, that it "could not have detected".
The duty free business has recovered relatively quickly from the major disruption caused by the security scare in the UK in the summer, writes Joe Bates. And as the industry prepares for the annual Ta...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has added two new super-premium Scotch whiskies to its Laphroaig Islay single malt range in the UK....
The European Travel Retail Council (ERTC) has welcomed European Union (EU) legislation, finalised by the European Commission, that will allow air passengers to travel freely with duty-free alcohol fro...
Harvey Miller Wine & Spirits Agencies has launched a new liqueur....
Rémy Cointreau has posted a slight lift in full-year turnover....
Bacardi has appointed experienced duty-free executive Michael Coleman as its European travel retail director....
Camus Cognac has secured US distribution for its Elegance range....
V&S Group has launched the first travel retail exclusive for Absolut vodka....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends