UK: Islay to get ninth Scotch whisky distillery
Click through for images of the next distillery to be built on Islay
A new whisky distillery is set to be built on the western Scottish island of Islay.
As reported by industry blog Whisky Advocate late last week, the facility, located near the town of Bowmore, will be called Gartbreck and will be smaller than the eight distilleries already on the island.
While details of the ownership of the distillery have not been disclosed, just-drinks understands that the site should be operational by early-2015.
The stillhouse will overlook Loch Indaal from a spot on Gartbreck Farm called Saltan Point.
Further developments are expected to be released before the end of this year.
The most recent distillery to start production on Islay is Kilchoman, which opened in 2005. Diageo, Moet Hennessy and Remy Cointreau all own distilleries on the island. Remy acquired Bruichladdich for US$90m last year.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the role of wine in the company’s wide-ranging alcoholic drinks operations, considering op...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- William Grant and Drambuie: It Had to be You
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk