GLOBAL: Irish whiskey aiming high as global firms invest
Irish Distillers is positive about the investment being made by its competitors in the category
Irish whiskey can become 10% of global whisk(e)y category sales helped by drinks firms' renewed interest in the sub-sector, according to the head of Pernod Ricard's Irish Distillers unit.
In an exclusive interview with just-drinks this week, the division's CEO, Anna Malmhake, said the sub-category was currently so small that it would be “ridiculous” for rival firms to “start elbowing one another”. “If together we can make Irish whiskey over time 10% of the world's whisk(e)y market ... there’s plenty of room for all of us,” she said.
Irish whiskey currently accounts for 4% of global sales in the whisk(e)y category. Pernod last week officially unveiled a EUR100m (US$132.6m) upgrade to it Midleton Distillery, while its competitors, including Beam, which acquired Cooley Distillery in 2011, and Diageo, owner of the Bushmills brand, are both investing in their brands. William Grant & Sons is also putting its weight behind Tullamore Dew.
“The industry is alive, it's innovating and investing,” said Malmhake.
Meanwhile, she defended Irish whiskey's performance in China, admitting that premium Scotch brands played more into the hands of the country's consumers wanting “bling” products.
But Malmhake added: “People (in China) are getting a bit tired with the most blingy things and are looking for more craft products. It (China) is a huge market... Irish whiskey can have a part of it.”
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Venezuela to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts