GLOBAL: Irish whiskey aiming high as global firms invest
Irish Distillers is positive about the investment being made by its competitors in the category
Irish whiskey can become 10% of global whisk(e)y category sales helped by drinks firms' renewed interest in the sub-sector, according to the head of Pernod Ricard's Irish Distillers unit.
In an exclusive interview with just-drinks this week, the division's CEO, Anna Malmhake, said the sub-category was currently so small that it would be “ridiculous” for rival firms to “start elbowing one another”. “If together we can make Irish whiskey over time 10% of the world's whisk(e)y market ... there’s plenty of room for all of us,” she said.
Irish whiskey currently accounts for 4% of global sales in the whisk(e)y category. Pernod last week officially unveiled a EUR100m (US$132.6m) upgrade to it Midleton Distillery, while its competitors, including Beam, which acquired Cooley Distillery in 2011, and Diageo, owner of the Bushmills brand, are both investing in their brands. William Grant & Sons is also putting its weight behind Tullamore Dew.
“The industry is alive, it's innovating and investing,” said Malmhake.
Meanwhile, she defended Irish whiskey's performance in China, admitting that premium Scotch brands played more into the hands of the country's consumers wanting “bling” products.
But Malmhake added: “People (in China) are getting a bit tired with the most blingy things and are looking for more craft products. It (China) is a huge market... Irish whiskey can have a part of it.”
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends