IRELAND: Irish Government to slash drinks prices to curb inflation
Irish finance minister Charlie McCreevy may force publicans to slash the price of soft and alcoholic drinks in an attempt to control inflation.If the plan is put in action it could see a pint of beer in Irish pubs cut by up to 40 Irish pence. Inflation has reached a 15 year high in Ireland of 5.2%, the highest in the EU. The Consumers Association of Ireland has blamed the rise in drinks prices for 20% of the current inflation rate.The Association's spokesman believes that forcing pubs to drop their prices would reduce inflation at a stroke, even if it did not tackle the underlying causes. He went on to say that "the drinks industry in Ireland is a protected cartel which needs to be broken up".Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern said there had been "very substantial and unwarranted increases by publicans" and the government would have to look at ways of reversing the situation.Chris Brook-Carter
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review