IRELAND: Irish Distillers slaps lawsuit on Cooley Distillery
The Pernod subsidiary is suing Cooley, claiming that a whiskey Cooley produces and bottles for a Russian company breaches its Jameson copyright. Cooley produces a whiskey for Russian distributor Roterhouse called St Patrick's which, Irish Distillers claims, resembles its Jameson Irish whiskey brand.
Speaking to just-drinks yesterday (29 January), Cooley's founder and chairman, John Teeling, confirmed the legal action. "Roterhouse gets its own-label Irish whiskey from us, and has started actively pushing it in Russia," Teeling said. "Roterhouse also distributes Pernod's products in the country, and Pernod complained (about St Patrick's) to Roterhouse."
Teeling highlighted that Cooley handles only the production and bottling of St Patrick's, with Roterhouse dealing with the branding and labelling of the whiskey.
"We received an affidavit from Irish Distillers three weeks ago," Teeling added. "They're after us because, relatively-speaking, we're weak. We'll defend our position with the support of Rotorhouse."
The case went to court in Ireland last week.
No-one was available for comment at Irish Distillers when contacted by just-drinks today.
The entry of Diageo into the Irish whiskey market has further enlivened a sector already growing steadily thanks to the efforts of the other major global spirits force, Pernod Ricard. And a new report...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
The Pocket Shot Company has entered into an alliance with spirits distributor Pocket Distribution in Europe....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Asahi Breweries is looking to begin exporting whiskey to Russia in July, according to local reports....
Diageo has unveiled an investment at Bushmills to increase production at the Irish whiskey unit....
Brown-Forman is to hold a six-month long celebration of the 75th anniversary of the end of prohibition....
The Pink Spirits Company has received approval to import its brand into The Republic of Korea....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research