IRELAND: Irish Distillers creates jobs in distillery expansion
Irish Distillers to expand Midleton distillery on Jameson demand
Irish Distillers said today (2 December) that it will create an extra 30 jobs at the Midleton Distillery and a further 30 at its bottling plant in Dublin, bringing the company workforce to 560. The new jobs will flow from a EUR100m (US$135m) investment to expand the Midleton distillery in order to meet growing global demand for Jameson Irish whiskey, as well as to produce more Single Pot Still whiskeys.
Earlier this year, following a media trip to Midleton, just-drinks reported that Irish Distillers would double capacity at the distillery, to just over 60m litres of pure alcohol per year. Even 12 or 18 months ago, we were not expecting to have to increase our capacity so quickly," Midleton's master distiller, Barry Crockett, said at the time.
In the year to end June 2011, a total of 3.4 million cases of Jameson were sold worldwide. Demand is expected to continue growing strongly, particularly in the US. “Jameson is now in its twenty-third consecutive year of growth and is experiencing double-digit growth in forty markets," said the newly-appointed chair and CEO of Irish Distillers, Anna Malmhake.
Today, the Pernod Ricard subsidiary said that its EUR100m spend on distillery expansion will be in addition to a previously-announced EUR100m investment in extra warehouse capacity.
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US