US: IPA on-trade sales soar as pale lagers lose out - figures
GuestMetrics figures cover sales in the US on-trade
India Pale Ale (IPA) was the fastest-growing style of beer in the US on-trade last year at the expense of pale lager, according to new figures.
As a whole, IPA brands saw sales rise by 39% in 2012 and also registered the largest market share gain of 55 basis points, according to GuestMetrics. IPA sales so far in 2013 are up 40%.
Brands with the largest share gains last year, according to GuestMetrics, were Widmer Broken Halo IPA, Lagunitas India Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, and Ballast Point Sculpin.
However, IPAs still only represent 1% of all beers sold in the US on-trade, across 25 beer styles.
Pale lagers, the largest on-trade segment representing 33% of volumes, saw sales drop by 5% last year, GuestMetrics said. Pale lager brands with the biggest share loss were Miller Lite, Bud Light, and Budweiser, according to the figures.
Peter Reidhead, GuestMetrics' strategy & insights VP added: "In analysing the (first) quarter of 2013, the picture does not appear to be improving for pale lagers, with units contracting 6.2% against prior year, and the share loss accelerating slightly to 180 basis points.”
GuestMetrics' figures are based on its database of point-of-sale sales in US restaurants and bars.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends