US: IPA on-trade sales soar as pale lagers lose out - figures
GuestMetrics figures cover sales in the US on-trade
India Pale Ale (IPA) was the fastest-growing style of beer in the US on-trade last year at the expense of pale lager, according to new figures.
As a whole, IPA brands saw sales rise by 39% in 2012 and also registered the largest market share gain of 55 basis points, according to GuestMetrics. IPA sales so far in 2013 are up 40%.
Brands with the largest share gains last year, according to GuestMetrics, were Widmer Broken Halo IPA, Lagunitas India Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, and Ballast Point Sculpin.
However, IPAs still only represent 1% of all beers sold in the US on-trade, across 25 beer styles.
Pale lagers, the largest on-trade segment representing 33% of volumes, saw sales drop by 5% last year, GuestMetrics said. Pale lager brands with the biggest share loss were Miller Lite, Bud Light, and Budweiser, according to the figures.
Peter Reidhead, GuestMetrics' strategy & insights VP added: "In analysing the (first) quarter of 2013, the picture does not appear to be improving for pale lagers, with units contracting 6.2% against prior year, and the share loss accelerating slightly to 180 basis points.”
GuestMetrics' figures are based on its database of point-of-sale sales in US restaurants and bars.
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research