AUSTRALIA: Investors react to Southcorp merger news
Shares in Southcorp, Australia's second largest wine producer, fell 4% as $A0.23 was sliced of their value.
Both Southcorp and Rosemount are still declining to confirm the merger but it is believed the two companies are working on a deal for Southcorp to buy Rosemount for about $A1.5 billion in cash and shares.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported today that a source close to the company said the two were trying to conclude talks "sooner rather than later" especially in the light of recent heavy trading in Southcorp shares.
As just-drinks.com reported last week, an unusually high number of Southcorp shares have been traded recently prompting speculation one of the large multinational drinks companies, in particular Allied Domecq and Diageo, was about to launch a takeover bid.
If a deal between Southcorp and Rosemount goes ahead it could be read as a defensive measure to thwart any unwanted takeover attempt on Southcorp.
However, despite the volume of interest the reported Rosemount/Southcorp merger has generated, Rosemount has continued to deny any deal. A spokeswoman told just-drinks.com yesterday that the company had assured employees that Rosemount would remain independent.
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly