AUSTRALIA: Investors react to Southcorp merger news
Shares in Southcorp, Australia's second largest wine producer, fell 4% as $A0.23 was sliced of their value.
Both Southcorp and Rosemount are still declining to confirm the merger but it is believed the two companies are working on a deal for Southcorp to buy Rosemount for about $A1.5 billion in cash and shares.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported today that a source close to the company said the two were trying to conclude talks "sooner rather than later" especially in the light of recent heavy trading in Southcorp shares.
As just-drinks.com reported last week, an unusually high number of Southcorp shares have been traded recently prompting speculation one of the large multinational drinks companies, in particular Allied Domecq and Diageo, was about to launch a takeover bid.
If a deal between Southcorp and Rosemount goes ahead it could be read as a defensive measure to thwart any unwanted takeover attempt on Southcorp.
However, despite the volume of interest the reported Rosemount/Southcorp merger has generated, Rosemount has continued to deny any deal. A spokeswoman told just-drinks.com yesterday that the company had assured employees that Rosemount would remain independent.
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research