UK: Investigation ordered into millions missing in wine and spirit tax
An immediate investigation has been ordered by the government to find out how millions of pounds could have been lost in tax on wine and spirits meant for export, but sold in the UK.An inquiry by Customs and Excise has found "serious weaknesses" in controls on wines and spirits meant for abroad and it is believed huge quantities could have been diverted and sold in the UK without paying normal excise duties."This issue will be addressed immediately and thoroughly, a full independent investigation is the only appropriate course of action and any weaknesses in the control regime and its application must be identified, rooted out and corrected quickly," says the UK's Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo.The investigation will also look at any shortcomings which may be found in the system during any on-going prosecutions as there have been a number of prosecutions and so far about 100 convictions concerning tax excise fraud in one major group of cases.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research