UK: Investigation ordered into millions missing in wine and spirit tax
An immediate investigation has been ordered by the government to find out how millions of pounds could have been lost in tax on wine and spirits meant for export, but sold in the UK.An inquiry by Customs and Excise has found "serious weaknesses" in controls on wines and spirits meant for abroad and it is believed huge quantities could have been diverted and sold in the UK without paying normal excise duties."This issue will be addressed immediately and thoroughly, a full independent investigation is the only appropriate course of action and any weaknesses in the control regime and its application must be identified, rooted out and corrected quickly," says the UK's Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo.The investigation will also look at any shortcomings which may be found in the system during any on-going prosecutions as there have been a number of prosecutions and so far about 100 convictions concerning tax excise fraud in one major group of cases.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research