HONG KONG: International Wine Fair targets Europe, US
Hong Kong's International Wine Fair is to move to November next year, as organisers look to boost visitor numbers from Europe and the US.
More than 8,700 trade buyers and 10,000 members of the public visited the first Hong Kong International Wine Fair last week, spokesperson Katherine Chan told just-drinks today (18 August).
The fair will move to November next year, Chan said, however, in an attempt to boost numbers. "In November, the harvest season and summer holiday is over and more wine cellars and producers from Europe and the US can exhibit at our fair," she said.
Hong Kong authorities hope the fair will spearhead the territory's efforts to become a gateway to emerging Asian wine markets, and particularly China. Hong Kong scrapped duty tax on wine earlier this year.
Next year's fair will also host its own International Wine & Spirits Competition, openly mimicking the competition that already reaches its climax at the London International Wine Fair in May, according to organiser the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (TDC).
Raymond Yip, TDC assistant executive director, said: "The removal of the wine duty is our leading advantage, while our proximity to the booming Chinese mainland market, world-classs infrastructure and logistics services are also key success factors."
Carrie Lam, TDC acting financial secretary, said at last Thursday's opening ceremony: "The value of wine imported into Asia (excluding Japan) is expected to reach up to US$1.5bn by 2017."
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends