SOUTH AFRICA: International success for Kanonkop
Leading Stellenbosch estate, Kanonkop, has started the new century where it left off in the old - winning international awards.Winemaker, Beyers Truter, was last night (Monday 30 October) presented with the KWV Perold Trophy for the best Pinotage at the International Wine and Spirit Competition in London. The 1995 vintage was entered.He received the Trophy from Mr Kobus Gelderblom of KWV, during a prestigious banquet in the City of London Guild Hall. It is the second time that Truter and Kanonkop have won this trophy - in the international medals category - the first being in 1996.This competition comprises three categories, topped by Major Worldwide Trophies, followed by International Trophies, then National Trophies."Kanonkop has set the benchmark for South Africa's own varietal, Pinotage, but winning this trophy is not only an endorsement for the estate, but also for Pinotage in general and the other producers, who ensure we don't become complacent," said Johan Krige, co-owner of the estate."Our belief in Pinotage dates back to my grandfather, Senator Paul Sauer, who pioneered the commercial making of this variety, planting the first vines on the farm more than the early 1940s. It has formed the inspiration and backbone of our operation here since then."It was with Pinotage that Beyers Truter won the Robert Mondavi Trophy for the Winemaker of the Year in 1991 at the IWSC.Besides his success with Pinotage in this competition, Truter has also won numerous trophies for his other wines, including the Warren Winiarski Trophy for the best Cabernet Sauvignon worldwide, with his 1995 Beyerskloof Cabernet Sauvignon and the Pichon Longueville Comtessa de Lande Trophy for the best blended red wine worldwide with his Paul Sauer in 1994 and 1999.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US