SLOVENIA: Interbrew in battle for Union
The Belgian brewing group, Interbrew, said yesterday that it would counter a bid from Slovenia's leading brewer, Pivorvarna Lasko, for the country's second largest beer company, Pivovarna Union. Earlier on Wednesday, Lasko launched an audacious takeover bid for Union in which Interbrew already owns a 41% stake. However, an earlier attempt by Lasko to outbid Interbrew for Union had foundered following the intervention of Slovenian regulatory authorities. Interbrew said it expected the country's anti-monopoly regulators to step in to block a Lasko takeover. Lasko has around 50% of the market, while Union has a 40% share.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China