UK: Interbrew forced to sell Bass brewing arm as Byers blocks takeover
The UK's Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, Stephen Byers, has blocked the recent £2.3 billion takeover by Belgium's Interbrew of the brewing assets of UK leisure group Bass. The Department of Trade and Industry, in a statement released today, said: "Mr Byers accepted the conclusions of the Competition Commission (CC) and advice of the Director General of Fair Trading (DGFT), that the merger may be expected to operate against the public interest."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division