UK: Interbrew forced to sell Bass brewing arm as Byers blocks takeover
The UK's Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, Stephen Byers, has blocked the recent £2.3 billion takeover by Belgium's Interbrew of the brewing assets of UK leisure group Bass. The Department of Trade and Industry, in a statement released today, said: "Mr Byers accepted the conclusions of the Competition Commission (CC) and advice of the Director General of Fair Trading (DGFT), that the merger may be expected to operate against the public interest."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Comment - Heineken's move for Pivovarna Lasko
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Belvedere unveils executive team
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Diageo targets Millennials with DeLeon ads