CHINA: Interbrew acquires brewer for $53m
Belgium brewer Interbrew has acquired a 70% controlling stake in Zhejiang Shiliang Brewery Company Ltd., located in the Yangtze Delta, for US$53.2m.
The transaction strengthens Interbrew's number one position in Zhejiang Province where, pursuant to this transaction, the company will have a market share of close to 50%. The transaction is expected to close during the summer of 2004.
Interbrew currently has six breweries and one bottling centre in Zhejiang Province, representing operations in Ningbo, Zhoushan, Wenzhou, Yandangshan, Pingyang, Jinhua and Yuyao.
Zhejiang Shiliang Brewery owns a strong local brand, Red Shiliang.
The transaction was completed at an EV/EBITDA multiple of 11.6, Interbrew said. On an EPS before goodwill amortization basis the acquisition will make an accretive contribution to Interbrew's EPS from year one, it added.
"With this acquisition Interbrew has reinforced its leading position in Zhejiang by adding over 2m hl sales volume to its current operations in the province." said Patrice Thys, president Interbrew Asia Pacific Zone. "Zhejiang, one of the wealthiest provinces in East China, is a key platform for advancing our strategy of being a leading player in China's beer industry."
Zhejiang Shiliang Brewery Company Ltd.'s General Manager, Qiu Jiangsheng said: "Zhejiang Shiliang Brewery Company Ltd. is very pleased to have reached agreement with Interbrew, the world's major brewery group, with respect to this transaction. By combining our own strength in the brewery operation and Interbrew's technical, management and financial capacitates, Zhejiang Shiliang Brewery Company Ltd. can further enhance its competitiveness and achieve better development in the future.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
SUN Interbrew is looking to relinquish its stake in Pivoindustriya Primorya....
Interbrew UK has poached two marketing managers from rival brewers....
Interbrew is to place a £1m support package behind its Czech brand Staropramen in the UK....
InBev has announced that the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of US$33.41 for the remaining Class A (non-voting) shares in SUN Interbrew, along with Class A Securitie...
SUN Interbrew is looking to buy into a Siberian brewer, according to local press reports....
Interbrew UK has announced plans to launch a new speciality beer....
InBev has extended the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of USD33.41 in cash for the remaining shares and Securities that it does not already own in SUN Interbrew (SIL...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018