NEW ZEALAND: Intelligent wine software ready for worldwide sale
A software package, designed to protect valuable grapevines, has been developed for sale worldwide by a group of New Zealand farmers. The programme was developed after three years of research by Hawkes Bay grape growers, wine companies and research scientists, and relies on weather forecasts.Growers say that the software - which uses weather data to calculate when conditions will produce disease and harmful pests - enables them to manage their vineyards "intelligently". It tells them when the crops need spraying, and over the trial period has reduced the amount of insecticide used, minimising damage to the environment.The programme uses daily temperature, rainfall and humidity level readings to tell growers when spraying is needed. A more advanced programme that predicts future weather and disease patterns is also being developed.Project manager Campbell Agnew said: "The programme takes the guesswork out of spraying crops by pre-empting the outbreak of disease."The software is being developed and marketed by Hort Plus, based in Hastings, New Zealand.Clare Blackburn
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China