NEW ZEALAND: Intelligent wine software ready for worldwide sale
A software package, designed to protect valuable grapevines, has been developed for sale worldwide by a group of New Zealand farmers. The programme was developed after three years of research by Hawkes Bay grape growers, wine companies and research scientists, and relies on weather forecasts.Growers say that the software - which uses weather data to calculate when conditions will produce disease and harmful pests - enables them to manage their vineyards "intelligently". It tells them when the crops need spraying, and over the trial period has reduced the amount of insecticide used, minimising damage to the environment.The programme uses daily temperature, rainfall and humidity level readings to tell growers when spraying is needed. A more advanced programme that predicts future weather and disease patterns is also being developed.Project manager Campbell Agnew said: "The programme takes the guesswork out of spraying crops by pre-empting the outbreak of disease."The software is being developed and marketed by Hort Plus, based in Hastings, New Zealand.Clare Blackburn
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research