AUS: Insider trading probe targets Lion Nathan, Kirin deal - report

By | 22 April 2010

Silence on insider trading probe

Silence on insider trading probe

Australian authorities are investigating a suspected insider trading ring that may have profited from Kirin Holdings' takeover of Lion Nathan, according to a report.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is investigating whether individual traders broke confidentiality clauses by passing on details of the Lion Nathan deal before it was publicly announced, the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported this week.

The probe has focused on individual traders at Deutsche Bank, which advised Kirin on its A$3.3bn (US$3bn) acquisition of all outstanding Lion Nathan shares, said the report.

Kirin, which previously owned 46% of Lion Nathan, announced its intention to buy the remaining 54% of the brewer on 23 April last year. It priced its bid at A$11.5 per share on 27 April.

"ASIC does not comment on operational matters," a spokesperson for ASIC said last night (21 April).

A spokesperson for Lion Nathan said: "While we have seen the media reports, we have no comment to make as the issue does not directly concern our business."

Sectors: Beer & cider, Mergers & acquisitions

Companies: Lion Nathan, Kirin

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

AUS: Insider trading probe targets Lion Nathan, Kirin deal - report

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

Related articles

JAPAN: Brewers continue to see declines

The nine-month shipments of beer and quasi-beer in Japan have fallen to new depths, despite a strong September that was helped by good weather.

Product Launch - US: Lion Nathan's Steinlager Pure

Lion Nathan's Steinlager Pure

UK: Diageo, Grupo Modelo take Red Stripe, Corona back from Wells & Young's in UK

UK brewer Wells & Young's has confirmed that it will lose the licensing rights for Diageo's Red Stripe and Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra beer brands in the country next year.

just-drinks tagline

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page