UK: Insider trading probe includes S&N shares - report
Authorities in the UK have arrested seven people suspected of links to a large insider trading ring, which a report has said may involve shares in Scottish & Newcastle.
The arrests were made last week following a series of raids by officers of the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).
"It is believed that the city professionals passed inside information to traders (either directly or via middlemen) who traded based on this information and have made significant profits as a result," said the FSA, which has seized documents and computers.
The investigation began in late 2007 and the Financial Times newspaper reported today (29 March) that shares in the brewer Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) are part of the probe.
S&N agreed to sell up to Carlsberg and Heineken for GBP7.8bn (US$11.6bn) in January 2008, following protracted takeover talks and an initial bid price in October 2007 of around GBP6.8bn.
There was no suggestion that the brewers' themselves were involved.
An FSA spokesperson declined to comment "for legal reasons" to just-drinks today on which companies' shares are part of its joint investigation with SOCA.
The agency said that two of those arrested last week were senior professionals at leading financial institutions in London.
A spokesperson for Heineken told just-drinks today that it has not been contacted by the FSA, in relation to the inquiry. The brewer emphasised that the investigation involves individuals in financial institutions.
As we have pondered on this site before, there are many indicators as to whether we are heading towards any sort of sustainable economic recovery, from employment levels to GDP growth and the housing ...
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US