UK: Innocent admits guilt over advert claims
The Advertising Standards Authority in the UK has pulled up Innocent for an advert that claimed its smoothie detoxified the body.
The company said that the advert, which ran in national press this month, was removed immediately after the ASA received a complaint that the drink did not remove toxins from the body, as claimed.
Speaking to just-drinks today (4 October), a spokesperson for Innocent said: "It was one advert and as soon as the complaint was received, we removed it and apologised. We have tables and stats and our own tests to prove anti-oxidant levels, but the ASA wanted blood test results.
"Their definition of detox is very specific. Only things that can be proven to flush toxins out of the liver can be described as such. That means it is really only chemicals, and water that could qualify. Our definition is a bit broader and about the concept of detoxing as eating the good stuff, like fruit, to help counteract the bad."
Innocent co-founder Richard Reed added: "At Innocent, we've always tried to be clear in our communication with consumers and we're sorry it hasn't been the case this time. We have absolutely no intention of misleading people. We want everyone to eat more fruit and veg, whether it's an Innocent smoothie or a carrot from the greengrocer."
Innocent has blazed a trail in the smoothie category but as these drinks have become more popular, juice companies have looked to capitalise by launching their own products. Now Innocent has retaliate...
As a practical, economical and lightweight packaging medium, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is without peer and has become widely used by soft drinks producers. But as environmental pressures have g...
Beverages claiming health benefits have become a key product development area for soft drinks companies, and as consumers look to "detox" following holiday excess, January is the perfect time to intro...
Bank of Scotland has agreed a deal with Innocent Drinks to provide funding to help aid the smoothie company's expansion across the UK and Europe....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research