CHILE: Injunction halts Coke's plans to terminate Chile bottling franchise
An injunction by Chile's antimonopoly commission has blocked Coca-Cola from halting the Canada Dry and Crush bottling franchises held by Chile's Compania Cervecerias Unidas SA.Under an agreement with Cadbury Schweppes, CCU's Emobtelladora Chillenas Unidas SA unit were to bottle Canada Dry and Crush beverages in Chile until 2004, but according to reports, when Coca Cola bought Cadbury Schweppes last year it informed the CCU unit its bottling agreement would be terminated in 60 days.Embobtelladora is also a franchisee of Pepsico and both CCU and Pepsi Cola claim Coca-Cola's decision to terminate the agreement in Chile is a threat to free competition in the soft drinks industry.An injunction has been in force since January and has now been extended by the antimonopoly commission for 180 days while the investigation continues.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends