INDIA: Indian market continues down road to liberalisation
The Indian Ministry of Industry has decided to end the dividend balancing requirements for foreign liquor companies. The requirements are part of the export obligation commitments undertaken by any foreign drinks company operating in India.Industry sources also said that the government was considering to scrap export obligations altogether as part of the on-going liberalisation of the industry.Reports from the Ministry suggest that the government will announce next week its plans to finish with dividend balancing requirements because its forex reserves are at a comfortable level and the earnings from liquor companies are no longer required.Certain sectors of the Government also believes the harsh export obligations are stifling the growth of the drinks industry in India.Under current rules liquor multi-nationals are required to balance the outgo of dividends within seven years of operation to the parent company with imports of raw material and technology.The end to this rule will benefit the likes of Seagram, Pernod Ricard, Bacardi and UDV all of whom operate in India. However, Albert Elgrissy of Pernod Ricard's Indian operations said the move was a minor development."What would be clinching for the trade is the removal of export obligations altogether," he said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research