INDIA: Indian authorities question Pernod Seagram acquisition
The problem stems back to a show cause notice issued to Seagram by the DTI in January that accused Seagram of mis-declaring and undervaluing bulk Scotch concentrates and evading customs duties of Rs38 crore ($8.4m) over a five year period.
In January, just-drinks.com reported that local estimates had calculated that although the total evasion amounted to Rs38 crore ($8.4m), taking into account the interest due, the 100% penal charges and a 25%-30% redemption fine, the company could face a bill of Rs100 crore ($22.2m).
The DTI has told its government that Seagram should not be allowed to transfer any assets until a decision is taken on the show cause notice. Sources in India say that the DTI fears that Pernod Ricard may take over Seagram's operations without taking over any of Seagram's liability.
A spokesperson for Seagram told just-drinks.com; "Seagram is working closely and in full cooperation with the Indian government and steps are being taken to satisfy all parties."
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Tequila set for export boost after record 2014
- Crimson Wine Group appoints new CEO
- India's Kerala state to ease alcohol restrictions