EUROPE: India may lower wine, spirits tariffs for trade deal
India will likely have to agree to lower import tariffs on wine and spirits if it wants to secure a free trade agreement with the European Union.
Talks on a free trade agreement (FTA) between the EU and India have been ongoing since 2007, but the two sides hope to reach a deal following a planned summit in February. A spokesperson for the European Commission told just-drinks today (3 January) that wine and spirits taxes are part of the process.
"Wines and spirits are part of the ongoing discussions and are one of the EU's offensive interests," the spokesperson said. He declined to comment on the extent or scope of the EU's demands on India's import tariffs, "as this is currently under negotiation".
Late last month, a report out of India said that the country's Government would accept cuts to import duty on wines and spirits. However, this has not been confirmed.
In November last year, the Scotch Whisky Association's (SWA) CEO, Gavin Hewitt, embarked on a lobbying mission to India. The SWA said that there is currently a 150% tariff on imported spirits in India, which means that a GBP10 (US$15.6) bottle of Scotch costs GBP25 even before it reaches distribution channels.
As we head back from Pernod Ricard's Capital Markets Day, held this year in Scotland, it takes a fair bit of effort to see past the company's upbeat take on the future for its Scotch whisky portfolio....
The recent release of export numbers for Scotch whisky appeared to be cause to celebrate for the category. But, as Ian Buxton warns, the devil is in the detail....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research