AUS/NZ: Independent Liquor eyes Foster's Group boost
The owners of Independent Liquor Ltd believe that interest in Foster's Group could help them in their own search for an equity partner.
Pacific Equity Partners (PEP) and Unitas Capital, the joint owners of Independent Liquor, think that speculation on Foster's may shed light on other opportunities in Australia's drinks industry.
The two private equity companies are seeking an outside investor to help them expand into markets in the US and Asia. A partner is needed to "inject some additional capital" for the expansion, a source close to the situation has told just-drinks today (28 June).
So far, China's Bright Food and Japan's Asahi have been mooted as potential bidders for a stake in Independent Liquor, which was founded in New Zealand but has had production facilities in Australia for the past decade.
The group specialises in RTD alcoholic beverages, but it also has beer and wine operations. If Foster's should fall, then Independent Liquor might become a more attractive asset.
PEP and Unitas acquired Independent Liquor for around NZD1bn (US$800m) in 2006. It is unclear what size of stake the companies plan to sell.
The final part of just-drinks' December management briefing, looking back over the past 12 months, reviews what 2011 meant for the global wine industry. Ben Cooper reports....
In the second part of just-drinks' review of 2011, Michelle Russell looks at how the soft drinks category has fared in the last 12 months....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review