UK: InBev to raise beer prices in UK
Soaring input costs have forced Stella Artois brewer InBev to announce beer price increases in the UK.
Wholesale beer prices for both the on- and off-trade will increase by an average 3.3% from 15 September, InBev said yesterday (31 July).
Rising energy bills and raw material costs, as well as a duty hike in this year's Budget, have combined with a sluggish UK beer market to pile extra pressure on brewers in the UK.
Stuart MacFarlane, the recently-appointed president for InBev UK & Ireland, said: "I cannot remember a time when so many major cost increases have come through so consistently across virtually every aspect of our business.
"We have made every effort to absorb rising costs but the sheer size of increases we have faced in recent months and the fact that we are seeing further rises across virtually every element of our business, means that we now reluctantly have to pass on some of these increases to customers."
UK beer sales fell 4.5% for the three months to 30 June, according to British Beer and Pub Association figures released last week.
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has maintained that it remains committed to the Chinese beer market, despite the sale of part of its stake in Tsingtao Brewery in the country....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it will sell a 20% stake in China's Tsingtao Brewery to Japanese brewer Asahi for US$667m, as part of a range of planned disposals....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it has completed pricing on a three-part bond, intended to help pay off short-term debt and assist in funding InBev's takeover of its US brewing rival....
InBev UK is to be the exclusive beer supplier to Wembey Arena, after signing a two-year deal with owner Quintain Estates and Development....
InBev UK has said it will increase beer prices in the UK in order to absorb rising costs and offset tough market conditions....
Pubs are closing at a faster rate than previously thought in the UK, as the on-trade beer sector suffers from tax rises and the economic downturn, the British Beer and Pub Association has warned....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Inchdairnie and the quiet whisky revolution
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Purity Vodka appoints new CEO
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends