INDIA: InBev confirms India footprint growth
InBev has confirmed that it is in talks to up its presence in India.
The global brewer, which is based in Belgium, was yesterday (29 May) reported to be close to securing a formal arrangement with Kool Breweries, located in the north Indian state of Haryana. Citing a "top official" at InBev India International, InBev's joint venture with Ravi Jaipurua in the country, The Economic Times claimed that InBev and Kool are testing the Indian firm's brewing capabilities before beginning bottling operations for Tennents and Lowenbrau.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for InBev said: "Our JV in India has been having discussions with various potential contract brewing partners in India, including Kool Breweries." The spokesperson declined to comment further.
Separate reports out of India claimed that InBev is also thought to be about to exit its bottling agreement with Impala Breweries, although the spokesperson would not comment on the claim.
Kool currently bottles SABMiller brands, including Royal Challenge, in Haryana, Punjab and Rajasthan. Reports two years ago claimed that SABMiller was also looking to buy the company, a claim the UK-based company would not comment on at the time.
The state of Haryana, which borders Punjab and Himachal Pradesh, has a population of just over 21m.
A tangled web of tax and regulations across Indian states remains a major barrier to beer market growth in the country, the head of SABMiller India has said....
Enterprise Inns has issued an apology to Carlsberg over claims it was delisting the lager in UK pubs and restaurants, according to reports....
MillerCoors has appointed San Antonio-based Bromley Communications as its Hispanic media planning and buying agency in the US....
Anheuser-Busch is launching the second wave of a US$50m advertising campaign for its Bud Light brand in the US....
Anheuser-Busch's stake in a brewer in China would appear to be one of the more likely divestments following the US company's sale to InBev last week, according to an analyst....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has lined up a rights issue to help fund the newly-named company's recent acquisition of Anheuser-Busch....
SABMiller and United Breweries have jointly filed a lawsuit against the government of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research