GLOBAL: InBev, A-B tie-up talk resurfaces
Citing industry sources, the Wall Street Journal said late last week that the two global brewers have held discussions with a view to a potential merger at some point this year.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for InBev declined to comment on the report. "It is not our policy to comment on market speculation," the spokesperson said.
Speculation about a possible tie-up between InBev and A-B has been circulating for years, although Carlsberg and Heineken's recent proposed takeover of Scottish & Newcastle has suggested a fresh wave of consolidation within the brewing industry.
In late-2006, InBev and A-B teamed up in the US, with A-B handling distribution for a number of the Belgium-based company's premium European beers in the US.
When asked at the time about any further agreements in other markets between the two in the future, an InBev spokesperson said: "This is a distribution agreement for the US. At this stage, we have no further plans (with A-B)."
Given the consolidation trend in the global beer market it was not likely to be that long before another mega-deal came along. InBev's move for US giant Anheuser-Busch was not unexpected though the co...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Soaring input costs have forced Stella Artois brewer InBev to announce beer price increases in the UK....
Brewery giant Anheuser-Busch (A-B) is looking to run its US operations on 15% renewable fuel by 2010....
Shares in SABMiller fell this morning (31 July) after the brewer said organic lager volumes dipped 1.6% in its first quarter....
Grupo Modelo is likely to form a partnership with new Anheuser-Busch owner InBev, despite the Mexican brewer's insistence that it has several options available, analysts believe....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has appointed new presidents for its Europe and North America businesses....
Rising beer prices have helped Mexican drinks group Fomento Economico Mexicano (FEMSA) to increase sales by more than 8% in the first half of this year....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research