GLOBAL: Imported spirits rise in 2011 - figures
The consumption of imported spirits globally rose by just over 4% last year, according to recent figures from the IWSR.
The research organisation said late yesterday (18 June) that imported spirits grew by 4.3% in 2011 compared to the previous year, coming in at almost 14m nine-litre cases. The US was the largest growth market last year, increasing imported spirits by 3.9m cases.
All four BRIC markets made the top ten, joined by the emerging markets of Mexico, Poland, Ukraine and Chile. The mature markets were represented by Germany.
“The emerging markets are experiencing growing affluence and the development of a middle class,” said the IWSR. “This also allows greater penetration of imported spirits to all regions and the on-going development of the markets.”
In category terms, whisk(e)y ruled the roost, selling 5.4m more cases in export markets in 2011 than in 2010. Vodka was the second-largest growth category globally, driven by strong performances in the US, Russia and Ukraine.
"Global sales of imported spirits took a dip in 2009 due to the global economic crisis," the IWSR said. "But, volumes recovered in 2010 and have maintained healthy growth."
Top 10 largest growth imported spirits markets
|Country||Largest growth category||Volume Change 2010-2011|
|Source: The IWSR|
|All volume figures in: ‘000s nine-litre cases|
Sectors: Emerging markets – BRIC
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research