INDIA: Imported alcohol may incur higher Indian state tax
The Indian central government is urging state governments to consider imposing the same taxes on imported grain-based alcohol and wine as those used for similar products coming from other states within India.
The government feels level taxes are "necessary to ensure a level playing field for all makers of grain-based alcohol and wine," sources in the department of food processing told India's Business Standard.
The move is linked to the proposed removal of quantitative restrictions (QRs) on the import of alcohol under a WTO agreement. It was noted by the central government, that at present products produced by domestic industries have to pay various levies that imported products do not attract.
The Business Standard cites the example of domestic wines produced in Maharashtra compared to imported wines, which do not have the same taxes, and says: "A scrutiny shows that the structure gives an unfair advantage to the imported products."
The central government is also still considering a "liberal" licensing regime for imported and manufactured liquor to provide adequate cover to the domestic industry against what it fears will be an influx of bottled foreign liquor after QRs are removed.
The latest export figures for Scotch whisky make uncomfortable reading for brand marketers and the strategists at the Scotch Whisky Association, showing declines in both Asian and European markets. C...
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends