USA: ID Checking Effective in Reducing Underage Drinking, According To Brewer Survey
The vast majority of Americans (86%) believe that ID Checking is an excellent or good way to reduce underage drinking, according to a recent Anheuser-Busch survey that assessed Americans' views of ID Checking effectiveness. The survey is part of an ongoing public education campaign to reduce incidences of underage drinking.The poll, conducted by the Data Development Corporation, reveals that Americans have witnessed efforts firsthand to combat underage drinking. In fact, 9 in 10 young adults (aged 21-39) say they have been "carded" when making an alcohol purchase, indicating that bartenders and alcohol beverage retailers are checking IDs and are doing their part. Further, 93% agree that alcohol retailers should be trained to spot fake IDs."According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, teen drunk driving fatalities are down 65% since 1982, the lowest number since record keeping began," says Francine Katz, vice president of Consumer Affairs at Anheuser-Busch. "These historical low levels show how retailers, parents and youths themselves can all make a difference in decreasing incidences of underage drinking."The poll findings also indicate that when it comes to celebrities' real ages, Americans want "proof." When asked to pick the one celebrity of legal drinking age most likely to be asked for ID when purchasing alcohol, youthful-looking Leonardo DiCaprio was picked by more than half (55%) of Americans, followed by Will Smith, Winona Ryder and Gwyneth Paltrow. And, 30% want to personally check Cher's ID to learn her true age, followed by Dick Clark (19%), Raquel Welch (15%), Zsa Zsa Gabor (15%) and Paul Newman (8%).
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research