UK: Iceni Water launches in UK
The English mineral water Iceni Water has been launched in its home market to offer UK consumers bottled water that has travelled fewer food miles.
The company, founded last year by the Hong Kong-based firm Cheung Kong Infrastructure, said today (14 March) that it has invested GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) into the launch of its Cambridgeshire bottled water brand.
The launch of Iceni, named after the East Anglian tribe ruled by Boudicca in 60AD, will be supported by in-store activity, consumer sampling, advertising, sports sponsorship and consumer and trade PR, the company said.
The product is bottled at source in Duxford, Cambridgeshire at an GBP11m purpose-built bottling plant targeting 25m litres to be bottled this year, with plans to double production within two years. The water will be distributed in the UK by Danfood, the company added.
Iceni Waters managing director Brett Fleming-Jones said: "Given the UK consumer's growing awareness of and insistence on good food provenance and low food miles, there is a clear gap in the market for a truly English brand, particularly one that can serve London and the south-east where bottled water consumption is highest."
Iceni Water will be available in 330ml, 500ml, 750ml and 1.5-litre 100% recyclable plastic bottles in supermarkets and retailers across the UK.
Major global drinks groups and smaller innovative companies alike have identified the enhanced water category as a sector with strong growth potential. So far, the US has been the prime focus, but mor...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages