UK: Ian Macleod secures major Smokehead listing
Scotch whisky group Ian Macleod Distillers has secured a listing in UK supermarket Sainsbury's for its Islay single malt Smokehead.
The deal is the first nationwide listing for the whisky, which Ian MacLeod launched last year. Smokehead is on sale for around GBP21.99 (US$43.43).
Marketing director Iain Weir said: "The reaction to Smokehead since its launch is better than we could have ever imagined. We knew we had a strong, quality product that looked and tasted fantastic and to now have Sainsbury's on board, I expect the brand to continue to grow from strength to strength."
The move is the latest sign of the company's ambition in the booming single malt category. Last year, Ian Macleod signalled its ambition to break into the world's top ten single malts with the repackaging of hallmark Scotch whisky Glengoyne.
Thys Loubser was previously a high flier in the chemical industry but when he was invited to become CEO of the South African wine group KWV he had no hesitation in taking the job. In this month's just...
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
Established as the dominant force in its domestic wines and spirits market and as an exporter to other African countries, South African group Distell is now aiming to raise its profile in global marke...
Mumbai, the largest city in India, has introduced a 200% tax on imported spirits....
The EU has suspended its WTO panel against India, following India's repeal of discriminatory duties on EU wines and spirits earlier this month....
Chivas Brothers' Scotch whisky brand Ballantine's has become the official sponsor for The Barclays Scottish Open for the next three years....
Diageo has lodged a planning application with Moray Council for the first major distillery in Scotland for more than 30 years....
Chivas Brothers has unveiled an international TV marketing campaign for its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch whisky targeting the financial community....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets