UK: Ian Macleod secures major Smokehead listing
Scotch whisky group Ian Macleod Distillers has secured a listing in UK supermarket Sainsbury's for its Islay single malt Smokehead.
The deal is the first nationwide listing for the whisky, which Ian MacLeod launched last year. Smokehead is on sale for around GBP21.99 (US$43.43).
Marketing director Iain Weir said: "The reaction to Smokehead since its launch is better than we could have ever imagined. We knew we had a strong, quality product that looked and tasted fantastic and to now have Sainsbury's on board, I expect the brand to continue to grow from strength to strength."
The move is the latest sign of the company's ambition in the booming single malt category. Last year, Ian Macleod signalled its ambition to break into the world's top ten single malts with the repackaging of hallmark Scotch whisky Glengoyne.
Thys Loubser was previously a high flier in the chemical industry but when he was invited to become CEO of the South African wine group KWV he had no hesitation in taking the job. In this month's just...
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
Established as the dominant force in its domestic wines and spirits market and as an exporter to other African countries, South African group Distell is now aiming to raise its profile in global marke...
Mumbai, the largest city in India, has introduced a 200% tax on imported spirits....
The EU has suspended its WTO panel against India, following India's repeal of discriminatory duties on EU wines and spirits earlier this month....
Chivas Brothers' Scotch whisky brand Ballantine's has become the official sponsor for The Barclays Scottish Open for the next three years....
Diageo has lodged a planning application with Moray Council for the first major distillery in Scotland for more than 30 years....
Chivas Brothers has unveiled an international TV marketing campaign for its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch whisky targeting the financial community....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research