UK: Hundreds arrested for alcohol-fuelled crime
Police have arrested more than 200 people in one morning in connection with alcohol-related crimes in Manchester, in a massive raid across the UK city.
Dawn raids by hundreds of police officers across the Greater Manchester area resulted in more than 200 arrests this morning, police said today (21 August). A further 82 arrests have been made in recent days.
"Warrants were executed on every division within the Force area, hunting down criminals responsible for alcohol-fuelled violent assaults and those who have jumped bail and were on the run," said Greater Manchester Police.
The major crackdown is in response to a survey by the Government revealing that one in three people across the northwest of England perceive drunk or rowdy behaviour as a "big or fairly big problem", police added.
"All too frequently, alcohol is a major cause of aggression and results in innocent people being subjected to violent and unprovoked assaults," said Greater Manchester Police deputy chief constable Simon Byrne.
He said this week's raids are "just the start of an ongoing process" and support the force's 'think safe, drink safe' campaign.
It remains unclear how the police collected information on those arrested.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read News Stories of 2009....
It would appear that, beyond the shadow of one major transaction, the soft drinks and water categories had a year of innovation and controversy. A colourful 12 months for the sector, then, as Ben Coop...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends