US: HR 5034 bill reading kicks off
An array of trade bodies in the US have reiterated their opposition to HR 5034 ahead of its hearing later today.
The Brewers Association, WineAmerica, Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, Wine Institute, Beer Institute and the National Association of Beverage Importers collectively said this morning (29 September) that the bill, which will be heard today by the Committee on the Judiciary, “undermines essential constitutional principles that prohibit enactment of discriminatory state laws”.
The bill, entitled 'the "Comprehensive Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness (CARE) Act of 2010', seeks to prevent states from discriminating against specific producers. However, the trade bodies argue that this amendment will not prevent general discrimination against out-of-state producers and retailers.
“The existing federal and state alcohol regulatory system has evolved over more than 75 years, and the changes proposed in HR 5034 are unnecessary to maintain a well-regulated and orderly market for the sale and distribution of alcohol beverages,” the organisations said.
“This measure harms consumer choice by putting brewers, wineries, distillers, importers, and retailers at a competitive disadvantage. States would have the power to enact unfair and protectionist laws against out-of-state beer, wine and spirits interests without judicial recourse.”
For more in-depth consideration of HR 5034, click here.
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research