US: House subcommittee discusses water concerns
The House Subcommittee on Domestic Policy convened yesterday (12 December) to examine the environmental impact of water bottling and extraction on communities across the US.
The hearing was called in response to the concerns of local citizen groups which are challenging the lobbying and public relations efforts of major bottled water companies which bottle water in or near their communities, or plan to do so.
Academic witnesses from Michigan and Wayne State universities were called to speak about the environmental hazards of water bottling, while representatives from Nestlé Waters North America and the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) were also to make representations.
The subcommittee is examining how water bottling plants impact on communities, the effect of extraction on watersheds and wetlands, and the adequacy of national and state laws in addressing these issues.
The hearing marks the first time in recent years that community concerns about water bottling have been discussed on Capitol Hill.
Nestlé is scaling back its plans to build what would have been the largest water bottling plant in the US in Northern California, according to Associated Press....
Nestlé Waters is planning to cut 250 jobs at its mineral water production sites at Vittel and Contrex in eastern France, by the end-of 2009....
Suntory has teamed up with the Nestlé Waters subsidiary Calistoga Beverage Co. to distribute its Japanese green tea brand Iyemon Cha across the US....
Nestle Waters has responded to claims that it is unfairly profiting from a spring water source in Florida in the US....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research