INDIA: House of Khodays faces legal battle after ending distribution deal
Indian spirits group House of Khodays has terminated its long-term distribution agreement with bottler Bagga Millennium Liquor India.
Reasons for the end of the deal have not been disclosed but the sudden termination is expected to result in a legal battle between the two companies. Bagga Millennium Liquor India has already claimed INR450m (US$10m) from Khodays after the contract was ended.
Small, traditional liquor manufacturers in India often enter into distribution arrangements with spirits distributors. Recently, Mohan Meakin signed a distribution and bottling pact with distributors Mason & Summers.
Bagga Millennium has been credited with the resurrection of Khodays as an independent spirits manufacturer with popular brands like Peter Scot Whisky, Democrat Whiskey and Hercules Rum.
While the hip vodka brand 42 Below has made quite a splash in the premium vodka market, it is the brand's growth potential in this vibrant category that tempted Bacardi to part with US$91m, and few ob...
A major takeover, persistent speculation about further acquisitions and most recently a legal wrangle with a prominent competitor over the ownership of a key brand have made the past year or so fairly...
Despite being denied access to the lucrative and growing US premium spirits market, rum brand Havana Club has made significant international progress in recent years. Dean Best spoke with Philippe Cou...
Rum producer J Wray & Nephew has appointed David McConnell as managing director of the company's global marketing division....
The acquisition of rum producer Cruzan and the purchase of a stake in Beam Global Spirits & Wine has hit nine-month earnings at V&S Group....
KWV Ltd has serious ambitions to double its share value in the next three years, despite tough domestic and international competition and a worldwide wine glut....
CL World Brands has shelved plans to form a manufacturing joint venture in India with local spirits group Tilaknagar Distilleries & Industries, just-drinks can reveal....
UK-based spirits producer Blavod Extreme Spirits has announced the further expansion of its distribution network in the UK and export markets....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018