UK: Hot summer lifts Highland Spring water sales
Highland Spring recorded a 6.5% increase in sales of sparkling bottled water in June
An increase in June sales for Highland Spring indicates that the bottled water market in the UK has had a good summer.
Highland Spring said yesterday (13 August) that it saw a 6.5% increase in net sales of sparkling bottled water for the month of June to GBP1.65m (US$2.57m).
Official figures show that the UK has experienced its hottest June this year since 1975, while the north-west has experienced its driest period since 1929.
Highland Spring said that group sales hit GBP10m in June, making it the best performing month in the company’s history. The growth was predominantly driven by a 100% increase in sales of single-serve bottles, as parched consumers reached for water on-the-go.
Les Montgomery, chief executive of Highland Spring, said: “Sparkling water sales rise in hot weather as people use it for summer entertaining and as alternative refreshment to carbonated soft drinks.
"With the market growing by 9% year-on-year, this continued growth will help us reach our ambition of becoming a GBP100m turnover business by 2013.”
In June, Montgomery told just-drinks that the bottled water firm wants to challenge impulse channel.
The second round-up in our Review of the Year series sees Ben Cooper consider a busy 12 months for our soft drink brethren....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces on just-drinks in 2010....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets