UK: Hot summer drives water cooler market turnaround - figures
The market for bottled water coolers saw its value increase
The value of the UK's water cooler market grew last year for the first time since 2007, latest figures have shown.
Overall sales of coolers climbed by 2.6% to GBP112m (US$186m), according to numbers released by the British Water Cooler Association last week. The total number of cooler units sold grew by 0.8%, the association said.
Iva Hatzold, a market consultant from Zenith International who unveiled the figures at the association's annual conference, said the UK's hot summer was behind the increase. “Once people were in the habit, companies reported strong sales even after the good summer ended,” Hatzold said. “This highlights yet again how important summer weather is to the sector.”
Hatzold had expected a continued decline for bottled water coolers, but the value of the sector grew as a result of the increase in water volumes.
The office sector remains the biggest segment of the point-of-use, or mains-fed, category with about 65% of the overall market.
In October, a proposed merger between the British Water Cooler Association and its European counterpart fell through after a disagreement over conditions.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- This week in spirits & wine
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts