Product Launch - UK: Hogs Back Brewery's Hogstar
Click through to view an image of the bottle
Hogs Back Brewery's Hogstar
Category - Beer, “craft” lager, unpasteurised, 4.5% abv
Available - Launching today (3 December)
Location - UK, in Majestic Wine Warehouses in the south-east, selected stores of Wine Rack, Budgens, Co-op and Booker, and on draught in the on-trade
Price - RRP GBP1.85 (US$3) per bottle
Distribution (off-trade) - Branded Drinks
English brewer Hogs Back is today (3 December) launching a new “craft” lager in the UK, as it looks to capitalise on the emerging trend.
Hogstar, with a 4.5% abv, will be sold unpasteurised in bottles and kegs. The privately-owned Surrey-based firm said the beer has a “distinctive, gently-hopped aroma and a fuller, fruitier taste than many lagers, and shows a good balance between sweetness and bitterness”.
Rupert Thompson, Hogs Back’s chairman, said: “Hogstar’s launch is right at the beginning of what will be a major and exciting change in the lager market, with many new lagers challenging the old global brands.
"Our aim is to attract a younger drinker interested in a greater depth of flavour and aroma, and we have had a very good response from women as well as men."
Earlier this year, fellow south-east brewer Fuller's launched its own craft lager, Frontier, while Midlands brewer Marston's also released a craft lager called Revisionist.
To read an exclusive just-drinks' comment piece on UK brewers looking to capitalise on the wider craft trend, click here.
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Comment - Heineken's move for Pivovarna Lasko
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Belvedere unveils executive team
- Stock Spirits recruits Drambuie head for MD role