UK: Hillebrand begins ‘The Wine Train’ service in UK
JF Hillebrand has launched a 'wine only' train service in the UK.
The logistics company said yesterday (17 March) that "The Wine Train", which runs between Tilbury and Daventry in the UK, will operate on a daily basis, carrying over 350,000 wine bottles per trip.
The launch involves a GBP1m (US$2m) investment on Hillebrand's part, in an attempt to address environmental issues associated with transport in the UK. The Tilbury to Daventry service is estimated to save an average of 326km per road-trip equivalent, equating to at least 1.7bn grams of CO2 savings per-year. The service is estimated to take 6,000 vehicles off the M25 and M1 motorways per year.
Among Hillebrand's clients set to use the train service is Foster's EMEA, the UK division of Foster's Group. Rob Hollis, Foster's director of regional supply and production, said: "Foster's is delighted to be supporting JF Hillebrand in this initiative. Along with measures we have already taken, such as the light weighting of glass bottles, the use of PET bottles and the transfer of packaging of some products to the local market, this represents another important development for Foster's."
Hillebrand also said that it has begun negotiations with a couple of major retailers who have expressed an interest in reloading containers with cargo emanating from the East Midlands area for delivery to the south-east. "The overall positive effect of these new shipping relationships will both benefit the environment and lead to further reductions in road congestion," the company said.
Amidst the doom and despond of the economic downturn, Diageo demonstrated its power and resilience by turning in full-year sales and profit growth. In the first of a special, two-part just-drinks inte...
Boisset Family Estates has introduced three varietals of French wine in PET bottles made with 'oxygen scavenger' technology for the US market....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Top bottled water companies Nestlé Waters, Danone and Highland Spring, have launched a new industry lobbying association to jointly promote their sector....
Burgundy-based winemaker Labouré-Roi has unveiled an eco-friendly initiative to coincide with the launch of its 2008 Beaujolais Nouveau....
PepsiCo and Britvic have signed a sports drink deal for its Gatorade's brand to sponsor Guinness Premiership English rugby....
The management at Cott Corporation has said it remains upbeat about the future, despite lowering its expectations for this year....
Cott Corporation has revised its outlook downwards, warning it will fall "substantially short" of its expectations for this year....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research