UK: Highland Spring Group spreads out to take top spot - CEO
Highland Spring overtook Evian in the UK
Highland Spring Group's “finger in all the channels” helped its namesake brand overtake Evian as the UK's top-selling bottled water last year, the company's CEO has said.
In 2012, Highland Spring shifted 199.3m litres, a 9% increase on the year before, according to figures from Zenith International seen by Highland Spring Group. Danone-owned Evian fell back to second, followed by Buxton, Volvic and Nestlé Pure Life.
Highland Spring CEO Les Montgomery said the achievement was in part thanks to the brand's footprint across the UK's retail sector.
“We're one of the few major brands in still and sparkling, and we cover all channels,” Montgomery told just-drinks today (9 April). “So, as well as the retail channel, which is very important to us, we have a strong presence in food service, convenience and cash & carry. We have a finger in all the different channels.”
Montgomery also said that annual bottled water consumption in the UK increased to 34 litres last year from 33.1 in 2011, with room for future growth. “Consumption is still a long way from our European counterparts, however it's going in the right direction,” he said.
However, he added that the recession has brought a “survival of the fittest” element to the bottled water industry.
“We're just having to work harder to keep our share,” he said. “We want to maintain our number one position, we don't want to lose that.”
Yesterday, Zenith figures revealed that UK bottled water volumes grew by 3.3% last year as the industry continued its recovery from the 2006 slump.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
Danone Waters Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in bottled water in Germany. The company offers different brands within bottled water, including Volvic and Evian. Its main strategy is to f...
Danone Waters (UK & Ireland) Ltd is focused on generating stronger business in the forecast period by tapping into the rising health consciousness of UK consumers and showcasing the benefits of simple...
Danone France focused its efforts on its premium bottled water brands including Evian and Volvic. Bottled water is a challenging category in which to add value with considerable private label pressure...
The most important trend during the review period was that of the rapid growth and expansion of superfruit drinks in the country. After the entrance of the Ocean Spray brand in 2002 the division saw g...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report