UK: Highland Spring Group spreads out to take top spot - CEO
Highland Spring overtook Evian in the UK
Highland Spring Group's “finger in all the channels” helped its namesake brand overtake Evian as the UK's top-selling bottled water last year, the company's CEO has said.
In 2012, Highland Spring shifted 199.3m litres, a 9% increase on the year before, according to figures from Zenith International seen by Highland Spring Group. Danone-owned Evian fell back to second, followed by Buxton, Volvic and Nestlé Pure Life.
Highland Spring CEO Les Montgomery said the achievement was in part thanks to the brand's footprint across the UK's retail sector.
“We're one of the few major brands in still and sparkling, and we cover all channels,” Montgomery told just-drinks today (9 April). “So, as well as the retail channel, which is very important to us, we have a strong presence in food service, convenience and cash & carry. We have a finger in all the different channels.”
Montgomery also said that annual bottled water consumption in the UK increased to 34 litres last year from 33.1 in 2011, with room for future growth. “Consumption is still a long way from our European counterparts, however it's going in the right direction,” he said.
However, he added that the recession has brought a “survival of the fittest” element to the bottled water industry.
“We're just having to work harder to keep our share,” he said. “We want to maintain our number one position, we don't want to lose that.”
Yesterday, Zenith figures revealed that UK bottled water volumes grew by 3.3% last year as the industry continued its recovery from the 2006 slump.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research