US: High-end craft beer brands up on-trade share - figures
Craft beer's most expensive brands are continuing to gain popularity in the US on-trade
Top-end priced craft beer brands are continuing to take an increasing chunk of the sub-category and are driving up the average price of beer in the US on-trade, according to latest figures.
Out of four price tiers for craft beer, brands in the top tier accounted for 29% of total sales in the sub-category in the first quarter of 2013, Guestmetrics reported today (14 May). In 2011, beers in the top price tier were just 11% of total on-trade craft beer sales, but rose to 22% in 2012.
"The increase in (average) craft price from US$5.42 in 2011 to $5.59 in 2012 to $5.72 in 1Q13 was due almost exclusively to mix effect as consumers traded up to more expensive brands,” said Peter Reidhead, Guestmetrics' strategy & insights VP.
In Q1 this year, the price/mix among craft beers in the on-trade rose by 3.8%, while the beer category as whole saw its price/mix up by 3.6% in the period, Guestmetrics said.
The price gap between craft beers in the US trade and imported beers also widened in this year's first quarter, continuing last year's trend, the company said.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends