US: High-end craft beer brands up on-trade share - figures
Craft beer's most expensive brands are continuing to gain popularity in the US on-trade
Top-end priced craft beer brands are continuing to take an increasing chunk of the sub-category and are driving up the average price of beer in the US on-trade, according to latest figures.
Out of four price tiers for craft beer, brands in the top tier accounted for 29% of total sales in the sub-category in the first quarter of 2013, Guestmetrics reported today (14 May). In 2011, beers in the top price tier were just 11% of total on-trade craft beer sales, but rose to 22% in 2012.
"The increase in (average) craft price from US$5.42 in 2011 to $5.59 in 2012 to $5.72 in 1Q13 was due almost exclusively to mix effect as consumers traded up to more expensive brands,” said Peter Reidhead, Guestmetrics' strategy & insights VP.
In Q1 this year, the price/mix among craft beers in the on-trade rose by 3.8%, while the beer category as whole saw its price/mix up by 3.6% in the period, Guestmetrics said.
The price gap between craft beers in the US trade and imported beers also widened in this year's first quarter, continuing last year's trend, the company said.
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research