US: Hi-tech methods improve grape picking
Californian winemakers are turning to hi-tech chemistry to choose optimum grape picking times, according to a Gallo Family Vineyards executive.
Michael Cleary, senior manager of grape and wine chemistry at Gallo told the annual American Chemical Society meeting in San Francisco that spectroscopy and chromatography will be used more commonly in its wine-making.
Spectroscopy is the study of the make-up of matter based on the light it emits, while chromatography involves chemically separating mixtures into their component parts.
Resulting molecular data can help identify and evaluate aroma, colour, taste and palate feel of grapes and their juice. When tests show beneficial molecules are at their highest concentrations, grapes are ready for harvest.
Despite being only a few days into 2007, attention is already turning towards the summer and the exhibition season. Earlier this month, the team that organises the biennial Bordeaux extravaganza Vinex...
After six months as vice president and general manager for Europe at E&J Gallo, Devinder Singh is upbeat about his role and the international prospects for his company. He met with Olly Wehring to dis...
One of the most recognisable names in the drinks industry, Ernest Gallo, has died at the age of 97....
Heaven Hill Distilleries has announced an addition to its sales team in the US. Dan Fornero, who has previously worked for E&J Gallo and Pernod Ricard, has become area manager for Indiana....
Republic Beverage Company-USA has appointed a new head for its Arizona business....
Soyuz Victan USA has announced a flurry of management appointments....
E&J Gallo Winery was the fastest growing wine producer in the UK last year, according to industry figures....
Heineken USA has appointed two regional managers....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends