GERMANY/UK: Henkell & Co takes majority stake in Copestick Murray
Copestick Murray's 'I Heart' range
German wine and spirits producer Henkell & Co has acquired a 60% stake in UK-based wine importer Copestick Murray for an undisclosed sum.
In an announcement today (30 August), Henkell & Co said its “main focus” for the partnership would be to establish its Prosecco brand, Mionetto, in the UK. “The UK is the largest market for Prosecco Spumante outside of Italy and one of the fastest growing markets for Prosecco overall,” said Andreas Brokemper, Henkell & Co's CEO.
Robin Copestick, MD & co-founder of Copestick Murray, whose portfolio includes the 'I Heart' wine brand, told just-drinks that these are “exciting times” for the company. “They (Henkell) are an extremely successful company with brands all over Europe,” he said. “Sparkling wine has been an area we've been under-represented in, so it works well, especially as it's a growth category in the UK.”
Copestick added: “We needed this strength financially, there's only so much you can do when you are under-capitalised.”
He declined to say how much Henkell & Co had paid for its 60% stake.
Henkell's three-strong UK sales force, part of its own UK distribution company set up in 2011, will team up with Copestick Murray's team. No personnel changes will happen as part of the deal, Copestick confirmed.
The deal becomes effective on Sunday (1 September).
Last year, Henkell & Co acquired Spanish wine firm Cavas Hill.
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review