GERMANY/UK: Henkell & Co takes majority stake in Copestick Murray
Copestick Murray's 'I Heart' range
German wine and spirits producer Henkell & Co has acquired a 60% stake in UK-based wine importer Copestick Murray for an undisclosed sum.
In an announcement today (30 August), Henkell & Co said its “main focus” for the partnership would be to establish its Prosecco brand, Mionetto, in the UK. “The UK is the largest market for Prosecco Spumante outside of Italy and one of the fastest growing markets for Prosecco overall,” said Andreas Brokemper, Henkell & Co's CEO.
Robin Copestick, MD & co-founder of Copestick Murray, whose portfolio includes the 'I Heart' wine brand, told just-drinks that these are “exciting times” for the company. “They (Henkell) are an extremely successful company with brands all over Europe,” he said. “Sparkling wine has been an area we've been under-represented in, so it works well, especially as it's a growth category in the UK.”
Copestick added: “We needed this strength financially, there's only so much you can do when you are under-capitalised.”
He declined to say how much Henkell & Co had paid for its 60% stake.
Henkell's three-strong UK sales force, part of its own UK distribution company set up in 2011, will team up with Copestick Murray's team. No personnel changes will happen as part of the deal, Copestick confirmed.
The deal becomes effective on Sunday (1 September).
Last year, Henkell & Co acquired Spanish wine firm Cavas Hill.
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- SABMiller's troubles fuel M&A rumours
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's H1 Performance by Brand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Diageo Q1 sales dip "in line with expectations"
- Moet Hennessy sales falter in YTD