NETHERLANDS: Heineken warns of FY profits dip as YTD sales flatline
- Nine-month sales come in flat at EUR16.07bn (US$22.03bn)
- Volumes in 2013 to end of September slip by 3% to 173.6m hectolitres
- Central & Eastern Europe drags in Q3
- Full-year net profits forecast to fall
Heineken released its Q3 and YTD results earlier today
Heineken has flagged that it expects its full-year profits to come in down on 2012, as the brewer's net profits slipped in Q3.
The company said earlier today that, for the first nine months of 2013, sales were flat, dipping by 2.1% to EUR16.07bn (US$22.03bn). Volumes for the nine-month period were down by 3%.
For the third quarter - the three months to the end of September - sales mirrored the same quarter a year earlier, coming in at EUR5.66bn, as volumes fell by 2%. Reported net profits in the three months fell by 15% to EUR483m, the company noted, although the figures includes net exceptional items and amortisation costs of EUR70m, compared to EUR38m a year earlier.
The Q3 performance follows a tough half-year for the brewer, which in August reported an 11% slide in net profits and a 7% decrease in sales for the six months to the end of June.
"Underlying trading conditions across Europe remain challenging, as evidenced by a weak consumer environment in Central & Eastern Europe in the quarter," noted CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer. "As a consequence, we are accelerating efforts to drive improved efficiencies, particularly in Europe, through restructuring and other cost related initiatives."
The company also warned that full-year net profits are now expected to fall by low single-digits. The previous forecast had been for net profits to be "broadly in line with last year".
Trading in Heineken's shares opened down this morning following the release of the results. At 0908 CEST, they were 3.37% down at EUR51.03.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
For a closer look at Heineken's Q3 performance on a regional basis, click here.
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken USA Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a com...
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper continue his review of the environmental efforts of the larger brewers. Here, he looks at Heineken, Molson Coors and SABMiller....
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Roland Pirmez was president of Asia Pacific Breweries before Heineken took full control of the joint venture in 2012. He now combines that role with heading up Heineken's Asia Pacific division. just-d...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future