UK: Heineken ups 'continental' approach in UK
Heineken is continuing its continental approach in the UK, with a new marketing campaign in the country.
The UK arm of the global brewer yesterday (31 May) unveiled the three-pronged "multi-million pound" push, which sees the arrival of Heineken's DraughtKeg system in the UK off-trade.
DraughtKeg will be available at branches of Sainsbury, Threshers and Makro from August at a RRP of GBP13.29 (US$26.30) per five-litre keg. Wider distribution is forecast for next year. The standalone take-home draught system is already available in over 40 other countries, having sold over 6m units sold since 2005.
In the UK on-trade, meanwhile, Heineken will launch 'Continental Draught', a campaign which will push the concept of a larger head on a consumer's beer. The campaign will be rolled out across selected UK pubs and bars from this summer. A range of POS will be distributed to all outlets, to educate and reassure consumers on the larger head and glassware.
Finally, the Café Heineken concept, unveiled late last month, will feature a Heineken-branded bar which will tour the UK this summer, emphasising the continental style of consuming beer more as a social occasion, rather than to get drunk.
The three innovations will be supported by a TV, cinema, online and poster campaign as well as PR activity. Starting next Wednesday (6 June) the television campaign runs with the tagline: 'Heineken - get your head right and the rest will follow'.
"We're incredibly excited to be rolling-out our new campaign which offers consumers the chance to enjoy better, continental-style drinking experiences," said Iain Newell, marketing director at Heineken UK. "As a genuinely imported premium beer, and the number one brewer in Europe, we're in a unique position to offer truly authentic continental drinking experiences."
"With the launch of our new media campaign, the roll-out of Continental Draught, the Draught Keg and our experiential programme, we're not only offering consumers the authentic experiences they are seeking, but we're working hard to improve the image of beer and driving incremental growth in the premium lager sector."
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
The head of Scottish & Newcastle is to visit Copenhagen, the home of Carlsberg, tomorrow (23 November) to re-outline his attempts to defend the brewer from Carlsberg and Heineken's takeover attempt....
Heineken has refused to be drawn on local reports that it is in line to buy a Czech brewer....
Carlsberg has declined to comment on a call from a Scottish & Newcastle shareholder for the Danish brewer to give further details on the brewers' joint venture in Eastern Europe....
Carlsberg and Heineken have dismissed Scottish & Newcastle's trading update yesterday (20 November) as "unconvincing"....
The likelihood of a union between InBev and Anheuser-Busch has become a stronger possibility, following SABMiller's acquisition of Grolsch, according to a drinks analyst....
Scottish & Newcastle has said that it has made "good progress" in its core markets, despite poor weather during the summer....
SABMiller has declined to comment on speculation suggesting the brewer is out of the Scottish & Newcastle frame, following its plans to acquire Grolsch....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview