INDIA: Heineken, United Breweries in deal talks
Local reports have cited informed sources as saying that a commercial fee for handling distribution and marketing of Heineken in India is part of the ongoing discussions between the two brewers to forge a joint venture.
A senior source close to United Breweries did not deny the report when contacted by just-drinks today (11 December).
Heineken acquired a 37.5% stake in United Breweries (UB group), after its part in the buyout of Scottish & Newcastle earlier this year. Vijay Mallya also holds 37.5% stake.
However, Heineken does not enjoy any management control in UB, unlike S&N, which had appointed UB's CFO and two directors.
UB previously filed action against Heineken in Mumbai's High Court, arguing that S&N's position within UB would not automatically be transferred to Heineken and claiming the Dutch brewer's role is subject to negotiation.
A Heineken spokesperson declined to comment on the matter.
By a just-drinks Mumbai correspondent
Laurent-Perrier, which this week reported full-year sales down 27%, has defended its decision to raise prices for its Champagne as many of its key markets faced recession....
Soft drinks bottler Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Co may cut up to 130 jobs in its logistics division in Ireland as part of a cost savings drive....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has completed the sale of its remaining 7% stake in Tsingtao Brewery to private Chinese investor Chen Fashu for US$235m....
The CEO of Constellation Brands' international division is set to leave the company later this month....
Molson Coors rescued Cobra Beer from administration late last week, picking up a 50.1% stake in the company's UK operations....
Several countries have said that they are examining cans of Red Bull drinks for traces of cocaine, as the Austria-based energy drinks group attempts to stem a growing backlash against its products....
European non-alcoholic beverages association UNESDA has appointed a new president....
Global wine producer E&J Gallo Winery has unveiled the latest addition to its UK portfolio, extending its reach into New Zealand....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future