NIGERIA: Heineken to merge Nigerian, Consolidated Breweries
Heineken is merging its Nigerian businesses
Heineken has signalled its intent to merge its Nigerian subsidiaries Nigerian Breweries and Consolidated Breweries.
The Dutch group, which has a majority-stake in both firms, said today (9 May) it has filed a pre-merger notification with the country's Securities and Exchange Commission about the deal. The merger will allow the combined unit to “fully capitalise on the future growth potential of the highly attractive Nigerian beer and malt drinks market”, the brewer said.
The tie-up will partly help “enhance operating and administrative efficiencies”, the company added.
Nigerian Breweries is the country's largest beer producer, with just under 50% of the market, while Consolidated Breweries is the third largest producer.
Nigeria, Africa's richest country, accounts for around half of Heineken's earnings on the continent.
“Africa is one of the world's most attractive and fastest growing regions for beer, and is a key platform for Heineken's continued investment and future growth,” the company said in a statement.
However, according to analysts it is the lower-end of Nigeria's beer market that is seeing most growth, which could affect margins in future.
The country has been the centre of global media attention this week after the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls by terrorists and other attacks.
In first-quarter results last month, Heineken reported an 11% rise in volumes in Nigeria.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research